In a single device, the YubiKey NEO has both contact (USB) and contactless (NFC, MIFARE) communications. It supports one-time password, smart card functionality, including OpenPGP and PIV, and the emerging FIDO Alliance Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) protocol.
If NFC is not required, or if the smaller Nano form factor is preferred, it would be recommend that you purchase the YubiKey 4 or YubiKey 4 Nano, the latest generation YubiKey, which includes stronger and faster crypto compared to the YubiKey NEO.
CORE YUBIKEY FEATURES
- Works instantly, no need to re-type passcodes from a device — replacing SMS texts, authenticator apps, legacy OTP tokens, and similar devices
- Identifies as a USB keyboard, smart card and smart card reader — no client software or drivers need to be installed, no batteries, no moving parts
- Crush-resistant and waterproof, YubiKey NEO is practically indestructible during normal use, weighs only 3g, and attaches to your keychain alongside your house and car keys
- Integration within minutes with free and open source server software
- Manufactured in USA and Sweden with high security and quality
SPECIAL YUBIKEY NEO FEATURES
- Works on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux operating systems; major browsers; and Android NFC phones and tablets
- Supports multiple authentication protocols, including Yubico OTP, smart card, and FIDO U2F
- Mobile authentication through NFC contactless technology (NDEF type 4), works with Android and other devices (YubiKey NEO only)
- MIFARE Classic, for legacy physical access control systems
- Hardware secure elements guard your encryption keys